Pages

22 de mar. de 2011

Wonderlands of Slinkachu




Isn't she like an Alice?



When I was a child was strongly connected with Alice in Wonderland, and also the book A chave do tamanho ("The key of the size") of Brazilian writer Monteiro Lobato. In this book, as in Alice's adventures, Emily gets small and lives several astonishing adventures to deal with the gigantic world where she loses all her safety and resources for living. There was a questioning of the human status and the dimensions of existence in this planet in a disturbing way. I used to spread little food in the corners of the house, just in case I also shrink and had difficulties to survive. The miniature has the power to make things grow.

When I saw the powerful images Slinkachu, all my past of miniature girl came into my mind. The art of Slinkachu is highly poetic and also critical. In a nutshell, he puts model figures, only a couple of centimetres tall, in normal urban settings. Sometimes they're accompanied by minature props. But usually, Slinkachu's figures interact with ordinary, everyday objects, like a piece of orange peel. The results are funny and moving, as Slinkachu's "little people" try to negotiate their way through a hostile, urban landscape. Changing the scale and the perspective, we need to reconsiderate our connections with the world we live. In the artist's own words, "I like my things to be melancholy, like loneliness, and people lost and alone. I don't know why."



Slinkachu


Slinkachu

Slinkachu


"My 'Little People Project' started in 2006. It involves the remodelling and painting of miniature model train set characters, which I then place and leave on the street. It is both a street art installation project and a photography project. The street-based side of my work plays with the notion of surprise and I aim to encourage city-dwellers to be more aware of their surroundings. The scenes I set up, more evident through the photography, and the titles I give these scenes aim to reflect the loneliness and melancholy of living in a big city, almost being lost and overwhelmed. But underneath this, there is always some humour. I want people to be able to empathise with the tiny people in my works." Slinkachu


Buy his books HERE and HERE






more miniature worlds HERE

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Click to get cool Animations for your MySpace profile